- Possible thesis
- The Disney fandom is linked closer to the AIDS epidemic than what is spoken.
- Through the Disney fandom, those affected by the AIDS epidemic have a way to explain what they are going through.
- The Disney fandom is creating a space for those affected by the AIDS epidemic to have a voice.
- Through the ideas about gay culture found by the Disney fandom in works made by Disney, it can be seen that the Disney fandom is connected to the AIDS epidemic.
- What questions do I need to ask to prove any of these true?
- How is the Disney fandom connected to the quilt?
- What is the Disney fandom’s link to the AIDS epidemic?
- What is the evidence of gay culture found by the Disney fandom?
- What is counted among the Disney fandom? Star Wars? Marvel?
Finding a source to answer the question: What is the relationship between Disney fandom culture and the HIV/AIDS epidemic?
-How did Disney fandom grow from the end of the Disney Dark Ages (1970-1988) to the Disney Renaissance (1989-1999)?
-How did Disney fandom interact with gay culture in the last century?
The book Tinker Belles and Evil Queens: The Walt Disney Company from the Inside Out by Sean Griffin is about finding the relationship between Disney and gay culture. Gay culture was very affected by the AIDS epidemic, so by finding how Disney is connected to gay culture, one may be able to find a connection to the AIDS epidemic. The book even says that many AIDS quilt panels have Disney Iconography and/or lyrics. The Little Mermaid is a good example, as the film can be analyzed to see a gay storyline. The Little Mermaid was the first movie in Disney’s Renaissance era which was the era that saw the resurgence of a fan culture after a company-wide decline due to Walt Disney’s death. There is also the unofficial “Gay Days” events at Disneyland and Disney World.
What is the subculture seen in the panels memorializing Howard Ashman? In the Howard Ashman panels, it seems that they are focused on the animated characters that are featured in the movies that his music was used in. I think this shows that there is a fandom for those movies and around Disney animation in general. I think that his music is a reason for why so many people are attached to those movies.
What is the relationship between Disney fandom culture and the HIV/AIDS epidemic?